Utility vs. Sport

Because I bike everywhere and that is odd to many people, I get a lot of odd questions.

Giving Perspective

Explaining the difference between utility cyclist and sport cyclist has gotten old. So I’ve just started playing dumb and asking them if they do this when they drive:

Giving Perspective

Just for the fun of making them explain the difference between a utility motorist and a race car driver.

43 Comments on "Utility vs. Sport"

Chris
Chris

You should do what works for you.

What works for my commute is bike specific clothing so that’s what I will wear.

Dai
Dai

Agreed. I wear cycling gear for my bike commute because that’s what’s most comfortable to me.

Jon Webb
Jon Webb

Yeah, but that’s a hilly ride over ten miles w/shower facilities at the other end. A ride of a few miles, to the grocery store, is another thing.

Glenn
Glenn

Why do we let the the term “cyclist” be such a stigma? I know I hate it. Still, “pedestrian” seems acceptable. Maybe because people in cars aren’t typically referred to as “motorists”?

Jon Webb
Jon Webb

People call them “drivers” but that applies to anyone operating a vehicle, including a bicycle. “Motorist” is what I’ve been using. Takes some retraining. “Avid motorist” is one I’d like to use someday, if I ever meet someone who really likes their commute in a car.

Hermann Weissflog
Hermann Weissflog
Ten miles with a bike is nothing but a nice opportunity to have some refreshing air and take a look at the neighborhoods. It’s a trip between 30 to 50 minutes for a typical cyclist. Everything depends on multiple variables: amount of clothes, weather, length of the trip, and speed. If you have a long trip ahead, you can pick up some lighter clothes, unless the weather is chilly, in which case warming up while cycling is just a welcomed effect. Still, there’s never need to use (those extremely uncomfortable, ugly, and plastic) special bike gear. A standard merino wool… Read more »
Richard Masoner

@Jon There are indeed people who refer to themselves as avid motorists. They read Car & Driver Magazine, file lawsuits against cities that install red light cameras, complain incessantly about people who “dangerously” drive at the speed limit, write letters to the editor explaining how their scofflaw behavior is safe because they’re all “above average” drivers. You can find a bunch of them at websites like Motorists.org.

twk
twk

How about “mechanized pedestrian” in stead of cyclist?

Thom
Thom
1 year 2 months ago

Certainly not. There is *nothing* pedestrian about me when I ride. Because it really feels more like flying (although sometimes in traffic it’s more like Millennium Falcon Among the Asteroids).

Opus the Poet
Love it. I used to drive race cars that I built, now I build bicycles 😉 I only had one thing that carried over from the race car to my street car and that was the restraints. Race cars have real restraints that hold your body in the seat and don’t let it move around. By comparison your standard OEM seatbelts are about as effective as relying on corduroy pants to keep you in your seat. To wit I have friends that have walked away from hitting a concrete wall at 100 MPH without any airbags, the “walk away” speed… Read more »
James
James

Great cartoon, thanks!

trackback

[…] gets it right, again. UTILITY VS. SPORT I used to drive race cars back in the day and I had friends who walked away from hitting a concrete […]