Redesign

When I bicycle around Boston it’s mostly vehicularly. While the rules of the road generally give some order to the roads- I always need be extra vigilant and assume drivers don’t see me.

Re-education

I’m experienced, follow the rules of the road, and best practices for bicycling. I can do everything in my power- but there’s no barrier if a driver is inattentive.

Re-education

It is obvious that there is a better way. Re-educationBut why so much resistance to making the dream a reality?Re-education

No amount of education can fix an unequal match of people riding bikes next to cars. And only re-designing the roads will invite more people to ride a bicycle.

62 Comments on "Redesign"

Mark Tedrow
Mark Tedrow
1 year 26 days ago
I feel much the same way. The City has really backed off on doing anything truly decent in the way of bike infra (excepting the largely federally funded Connect Historic Boston project that just started construction) in the last few years. And what they did before then was by and large third-rate door-zone bike lanes. I’m appalled that they haven’t installed flex posts on Mass Ave, it appears to be time to start publicly critiquing the City’s poor bike facilities and it’s refusal to design protected intersections for pedestrians and cyclists at known danger spots. And possibly engaging in a… Read more »
PatrickGSR94
PatrickGSR94
1 year 25 days ago

You don’t care that the motorist is on Facebook, until the motorist has to turn somewhere across your path, and they don’t bother to look for who might be there.

Seth Alford
Seth Alford
1 year 25 days ago

Intersections, driveways, road debris, that drivers can easily jump the planters, and my need to turn left make your separated lane less attractive.

Jason
Jason
1 year 25 days ago

Agreed. I have a feeling this point will not be addressed. It will only be down voted

The Alternative DfT
1 year 25 days ago

Keep pretending that all these problems weren’t solved long ago. You’re like someone claiming air travel can’t work, because hydrogen airships are dangerous.

John Harshbarger
John Harshbarger
1 year 25 days ago

If by left turn, you are taking the cyclist, that has already been addressed. The dutch have protected lanes and left turns are far safer and less stressful.

John Harshbarger
John Harshbarger
1 year 25 days ago

I should learn to proof read. “If by left turn, you are talking about the cyclist, that has already been addressed. The dutch have protected lanes and left turns are far safer and less stressful.”

naath
naath
1 year 23 hours ago

In Copenhagen (on vacation) I had a lot of need to turn left across 6-lane roads. The protected bike-lane did *nothing* to help with that. At least at big intersections you could get off and use the pedestrian crossing… what about turning left into your *house*, or to stop at a shop or cafe? Most places I turn right (sorry, I’m a Brit) at home aren’t at junctions with signed crossings.

Drew
Drew
1 year 20 days ago

then what’s a better solution than a separated bike lane?

nocklebeast
nocklebeast
1 year 13 days ago

left turn lane.

michal
michal
1 year 25 days ago

Hi,

from Czech Republic at middle of the Europe …
I do not understand that we bike-to-work cyclist have the same problems and feelings on different continents!

I’m reading your block from the beginning and I have to say, I like it a lot. As far as I remember I didn’t comment any of articles.
But your dream and your feeling is so similar to mine! that I just need to share it with you.

Thx for the blog and I’m proud I’m not alone with this feelings …

Be safe on roads
Michal

PatrickGSR94
PatrickGSR94
1 year 25 days ago

There is a CyclingSavvy class offered less than an hour from Boston in Providence. I wish you would at least try it before knocking it.

Don’t bother with those LAB courses. CS is where it’s at.

Pawl
Pawl
1 year 25 days ago

I think you missed the panel where the CS/VC evangelist comes to his senses.
The power of Bikeyface compels you!
As do improvements to bicycle infrastructure, all-around education, data from studies and other cities, common sense, and consideration for all.

And, please, enough with your promotions already.

Kelley
Kelley
1 year 25 days ago

I hear people complain all the time about cars “being out to get” them and that “drivers don’t see” them. I put about 3-4000 miles a year on commuting. I’m a middle-aged woman, old enough to be a grandmother. But not seeing me is not really an issue, and rarely is anyone trying to run me over or out to get me.

But then again, I don’t try to share a lane side by side with motor vehicle drivers. That IS ensuring that they don’t see me.

Brian Ogilvie
Brian Ogilvie
1 year 25 days ago
I think you missed the point. I am a confident cyclist with decent handling skills; I routinely ride in traffic, and when I lived in Paris I had no problem negotiating the Place de la Bastille, the Place de la Concorde, and other giant traffic circles. Nonetheless, I prefer good cycling infrastructure where it’s available, as in much of the Netherlands. Bad cycling infrastructure (like that of Berlin in the mid-1990s) made me into a vehicular cycling zealot for a while, but I got over it after seeing how cycling infrastructure could be done well and the difference it makes… Read more »