Bike Bonding

When you get a new bike, there is always an important bonding period. It’s important to take some time to get to know your bike. The first thing to do is to go on a long long ride. It’s best to not have a plan or a schedule and just go. Leave the city and bike until you see cows.*

*Cows not be available near all major cities.

Of course, as you head out you may need to overcome some obstacles for the perfect ride.

Next you will want to relax a little and take a break. I recommend a picnic.

After your adventure, your bike probably has gotten a little muddy. You’ll want to keep her looking new and clean her up a bit.

However bonding with your bike is not without complications. If you have another bike, there is bound to be some problems. It’s best to confront them head on.

18 Comments on "Bike Bonding"

Boston Biker

can I just say that I think I am developing a crush on your blog…you have captured perfectly the joy and love of having a new bicycle, and also the heart wrenching emotions you face when explaining to your old bike that you are now poly with other bikes…in short you are my hero, and I look forward to your next awesome comic šŸ™‚

Aaron
Aaron

Excellent post. There’s an odd and somewhat obscure term affiliated with a ride with no planned route or destination, just a loose deadline for return (probably dark): “bummel.”

Every cycle and cyclist should, on occasion, enjoy a good bummel.

Zweiradler
Zweiradler

Funny! “Bummeln” is the German word for loitering/dawdling.

Nico

todd
todd

i’m american with a german wife. 25 years ago we were together at her parents’ house, who left us alone while they ran errands. we did what young people freshly in love left alone do. when her parents returned they asked what we had done. i meant to lie that we had “gebummelt,” (walked aimlessly), but my german being bad, i said we had “gebummst” (banged).

Matt
Matt

At least you told the truth!

Amy

I too have developed a Blog Crush! I love your illustrations and your posts are a lot of fun!

I have to keep my bikes separated. The Pashley lives in the living room and the Fuji in the kitchen. My husband’s poor trike has to live on the porch. It’s the only way to keep the peace.

greg

This is fantastic.

Greg
Greg

Bonding is important. I have had a few bikes in my life that I never bonded with. Sooner rather than later they get the “it’s not you, it’s me” speech and find a new home or become organ donors.
Love your blog. Love your insight and your illustrations put your post’s over the top.
I found you from The Julie Blog – She rocks too.

1 2 3